There are loads of apps available to be downloaded onto our smartphones now. Statista has predicted that during just 2017, 197 billion mobile app downloads were carried out. Considering that the Earth’s population currently stands at around 7.7 billion people, that’s near to 25 apps being downloaded per person across the world every year.
We can only have so many apps on our smartphones at once though, due to storage limitations. With this in mind, Volkswagen dealership Vindis has listed a trio of useful and life-changing driving apps that every motorist should be making use of in 2019 and beyond…
Why download Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?
This pair of smart driving companions boast similar setups and functionality. However, the choice of which one you download will depend on the type of smartphone you have.
Image Source: Pixabay
Have the Android operating system on your smartphone? Then you’ll be wise to enhance your gadget with Android Auto. This smart driving companion essentially means that while you’re behind the wheel, you only need to mutter ‘OK Google’ in order to…
- Set up real-time GPS navigation and be informed about traffic alerts.
- Check your calendar for any occasions that you have scheduled.
- Set reminders.
- Get up-to-date news.
- Setting up a do not disturb message on your phone.
- Make or answer phone calls handsfree.
- Access so many of your media apps, such as those containing your favourite music playlists, audiobooks and podcasts.
iOS on your smartphone instead? Then Apple CarPlay is the alternative option. Featuring Siri voice control, here’s just a few things you can do once you open the app:
- Search for attractions while driving by simply asking for directions by the following means: “Siri, where’s the closest petrol station?”.
- Have the app predict where you need to be by analysing addresses on your recent emails, text messages, contacts and calendars.
- Make calls and listen to voicemail handsfree.
- Have Siri read and reply to text messages, as well as send messages in new conversations too.
- Gain access to content via your iTunes, Apple Music or other audio apps accounts, as well as even request for Siri to become your personal DJ for the duration of a road trip.
Download the app here:
Why download JustPark?
Ever feel like tearing your hair out because you can never seem to find a parking spot? Fortunately, help is at hand in the form of the JustPark app.
It’s an award-winning service that has been delivered with high praise at the likes of Richard Branson’s 2015 VOOM event and the 2017 British Parking Awards. The app itself has made up a database of 1.4 million parking spaces, off-street parking options (think car parks, private spaces and even driveways) and on-street parking possibilities (that’s stretches with parking meters and free parking zones).
Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that the JustPark app is only beneficial when you’re trying to find that rare parking space though. You can also reserve a guaranteed space and pay for the spot via the app using either a card, PayPal or either Apple or Android Pay services. You’ll even be provided with easy-to-follow instructions and directions to the space once it’s reserved.
Why download HERE WeGo?
All motorists would have been there at one point or another. Just as we drive into a busy city centre and have no idea about the road layout, our smartphones lose their internet connections and, as a result, the sat nav on the devices stop working. However, the HERE WeGo app should mean that you never need to go through it again.
Download offline maps of the UK and several other countries straight onto your smartphone by opening this app. Other nations covered include France, Spain, Italy, the US. This means that you can be navigated to your destination even when you haven’t got an internet connection.
The HERE WeGo app even has its uses when you’re without your car. This is because it’ll inform you of carsharing opportunities nearby whenever you need it and can call a local taxi too so that you never need to worry about being stranded in an unfamiliar city.